Saturday, October 25, 2008

Encounter with the lady who manages the vegetarian food-stuff shop

mimi_25102008_01

mimi_25102008_02

This morning, I followed Kopi-tiam cleaning lady when she went to refill the food bowl placed besides a pillar next to a provision shop. One shop further away sells vegetarian food stuff. The elderly Chinese lady who managed this shop walked out to confront the cleaning lady. She scolded her for feeding the cats so near her shop that the “stray” cats had come into her shop to give her trouble. I explained that MiMi was sterilised. She said she had told the cleaning many times to remove the food away and she didn’t seem to understand. I said that she was perhaps a simple-minded lady, otherwise she would be managing a shop rather than cleaning the tables at the coffee shop. She said she would complain to the town council if the cleaning lady still insisted on placing the food near her shop. I said that would mean death to the cats, including MiMi. I told her to complain about the cleaning lady if she had to. She seemed taken aback. I said the cats were innocent. I also said I presumed she was a Buddhist, working in a shop that sells vegetarian food stuff and there some Buddhist paraphernalia in the shop. I reminded her that calling the town council meant KILLING the cats who were sentient beings.I told her that she should use her intelligence to develop wisdom and compassion instead of venting her anger on the cats!

mimi_25102008_03

I advised the cleaning lady to move the food and water bowls to the back of the shops and to advise another feeder, an Ah Pek, not to place the food near the shop. The cleaning lady then placed the bowl at the foot of a staircase which is still near to the complainant’s shop! I told her to move them as far as possible.

mimi_25102008_04

What is the point of being vegetarian or be involved in vegetarian products when the heart is still bent killing on anger, lack of patience and intolerance!?