Tuesday, December 30, 2008

A time to reflect

A time to reflect

First-world Singapore has much to learn from poorer nations

TODAY
Tuesday • December 30, 2008


Letter from Lucia Maes



I COULDN’T agree more with the I Say piece by Edric Sng, “Financial crisis, so what?”(Dec 29). It’s time for the people of the world to reflect on their own actions and their purposes in life.

I’m a frequent traveller to less developed countries, such as Nepal, and more developed ones, like Singapore. The difference in the way money and life are valued are stark.

The people in Nepal are impoverished beyond imagination, yet are still able to find it in their gentle hearts to be kind to a stranger like me — to be the best host they can, down to sharing their last grain of rice.

Their smiles are nothing short of the warmth on summer days.

Such folk do not own clothes without a tear in them, or a proper pair of shoes.

And even if they could, they do not desire to own luxury goods, instead preferring to spend time with their children and parents, sharing their days’ stories with each other.

My experience in Singapore, on the other hand, has shown me the other end of the spectrum.I saw no compassion among those whom I met on the streets, or on MRT trains when I had to travel to work during peak hours.

I was distressed to have seen several Singaporeans in a dilemma trying to decide if their Sunday high-tea session should be held at the Fullerton or at the Marriot.

I wish they would instead be thankful for the food placed in front of them. There are 900 million others in the world desperately crying out for just one bowl of rice per day to share between five children.

Singapore can boast of countless international accolades for its first-class services, infrastructure and attractions.

Unfortunately, when it comes to helping others, this country still retains a very third-class mentality.

The writer is a British citizen with family in Singapore.