Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Stray cats a pest at former Big Splash

The Straits Times

16-01-2009

ST Forum

Stray cats a pest at former Big Splash

Recently, my family and I visited East Coast Park and realised that the former Big Splash has been revamped into a lifestyle beachfront attraction that appealed greatly to my family and children.However, I would like to raise a grave concern about the stray cat situation there. With so many children in the area, this needs to be addressed immediately.

My children and I were walking down the stairs to the second floor from the mini-golf area when we saw two fierce and hungry-looking cats in the passage. My five-year-old was very frightened as the cats did not look friendly.

My children walked back up to the third floor and eventually took the lift down to the ground floor.

My shock and dismay did not end there. We walked towards the beach, and were alarmed to see three cats loitering around the rubbish dump area, with litter all over the place. One was searching for food, and toppled one of the portable rubbish disposal bins.

As we walked along the perimeter, we chanced on an F&B establishment called Vista Bistro. We were impressed with the lush greenery and soothing ambience.

As we were enjoying our cocktails, we had another unwelcome surprise. We saw two stray cats skirting past our tables, engaged in a high-speed chase.

We were certainly not impressed with the ambience any more. We had expected birds and butterflies in a natural setting like this, and did not appreciate the extra feline activities.

Serene Tan (Mrs)

Sent: Friday, January 16, 2009 6:02 PM
Subject: Ms Serene Tan’s Cat “problem”

I refer to Ms Serene Tan’s letter, “Stray Cats a pest at former Big Splash”.

I am surprised that the Straits Times would even publish such a trivial complaint.

So Ms Tan found that the cats ruined the ambiance for her?

Can I tell you how many times children have ruined the ambiance of many an experience for me, including dining at formal restaurants ?

Or how children have hungrily looked at me?

Or walked past me in a corridor?

Do you hear me writing to the Straits Times, asking that something be done about children?

I have seen children hitting maids, kicking cats, screaming for no good reason and slamming into passersby.

They lack manners, but I don’t expect the Government to remove them until they learn some manners.

Why should cats be killed because someone doesn’t like, or understand or doesn’t choose to understand them?

Maybe if cats were allowed to be legally kept in HDB flats, more people would learn to at least understand cats, which are as much a part of nature and have a right to live as birds and butterflies.

I think Ms Tan would benefit from learning more about cats; The Cat Welfare Association is a good place to start. And she might care to make a donation to CWA or the SPCA to help these groups sterilise stray cats so the population might be stabilised.

Frankly, after 15 years in Singapore, I still continue to be astounded at this attitude towards cats.
Joanna Hughes
(letter not published but permission granted to post here)


Jan 20, 2009
I REFER to Mrs Serene Tan's letter last Friday, 'Stray cats a pest at former Big Splash'.

While I respect Mrs Tan's sentiments, I was caught by surprise when she said her concerns need to be addressed immediately in view of the numerous children in the area.

In my opinion, this is a good chance for parents to educate their young children on teaching kindness and empathy towards our voiceless furry friends as they live in harsh conditions where they have to forage for food and the likelihood of being caught and put to sleep is high.

I hope Ms Tan's letter won't result in a massive culling of cats at Big Splash to ensure that only 'pleasant' creatures like birds and butterflies are allowed in the 'lush greenery and soothing ambience' at Vista Bistro.

Christina Kwan (Ms)



Jan 20, 2009
Pests: Beware aggressive felines at seafood centre
I REFER to last Friday's letter by Mrs Serene Tan, 'Stray cats a pest at former Big Splash'. Mrs Tan would probably have another big shock if she goes to East Coast Seafood Centre where, directly across the canal, I counted at least 16 stray cats roaming in the open field.

This happened on the very day Mrs Tan's letter appeared. As I approached, some of the cats charged at me.

Noel Peck



We would like to thank Mrs Serene Tan for her feedback. Our management is already in touch with officers from NEA, National Parks, SPCA and Cats Welfare Society (CWS). We are committed to work closely with Cats Welfare Society to explore the best possible solution to this matter soonest possible.

Like the birds and butterflies, cats and dogs are also inhabitants living in a natural environment like East Coast Park. Nevertheless, we also understand that as a loving parent, your concerns are valid. We are confident that with expert advice from CWS and SPCA, we will be able to resolve this issue in a socially responsible and win-win manner. This will allay the concerns of visitors to Playground @ Big Splash and yet preserve the eco-system in this natural environment.

Management of Playground @ Big Splash.
Posted by: Playground at Tue Jan 20 15:46:18 SGT 2009