Thursday, February 26, 2009

"What has happened to Singaporeans? Is life so bad that we walk around in a daze, uncaring?'"

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated”

Mahatma Gandhi

Straits Times Forum
26th February 2009
My Point

Civic consciousness

'Challenges in life should never get in the way when one sees another hurt. What has happened to Singaporeans?'

MR MICHAEL ROBERTS:

'I am a New Zealander and I have been a Singapore permanent resident for more than 15 years. My wife is a Chinese Singaporean, my daughter is a student at the National University of Singapore and my son has completed his national service.

My sense is that the level of civic consciousness in Singapore is at its lowest since I moved here. I was retrenched a year ago after I visited my son in New Zealand because he was diagnosed with cancer.

I am currently taking night classes to re-tool myself instead of dragging myself into a depression.

Life must go on.

But, just the other day, I had a bad fall outside Maxwell House in Maxwell Road and hurt my arm and leg.
I was lying on the ground, in obvious pain, but at least four people walked by without stopping to ask if I was all right, or to help.
The injury was painful enough that I had to call my wife to fetch me home and I had to use a walking stick for days.

My point is that race, age, personal stress and the challenges one faces in life should never get in the way when one sees another individual hurt and in need of help.

What has happened to Singaporeans? Is life so bad that we walk around in a daze, uncaring?'