Sunday, March 15, 2009

Sterilised cats are healthier. Look at Vodka, before and after

30th August 2005

(3rd September: Just learnt that Carol had named him Vodka)

A very friendly ginger and white “old” looking suddenly appeared at blk ***. He was very skinny and had some eczema. It was easy to get him into a carrier and so he ended at the clinic where he was sterilised on 11th July 2005.

Look at him now. Sleeping so soundly under a chair in the park between Blk ** and **, after a can of snappy tom.
We worried for him as he is overly friendly - an easy target for abusers!
He has put on a good amount of weight since he was sterilized and his eczema has cleared completely.
If only we have unlimited resources, we would surely bring him for fostering but he is “too old looking” and hence poor potential for rehoming.

23th May 2007

Vodka is one of the friendliness in the neighbourhood. He is loved by many residents, including an elderly peranakan lady who will bring a towel to wipe his face. Yet sometime last year, some took advantage of his trusting nature and inflicted razor-blade nicks on the tummy and shaved off half-side of his curly tail. We suspected the culprits to be the primary school kids from a neighbourhood school. I wrote to the School Principal who responded by saying he would give a talk on animal cruelty during assembly.

A resident in the estate told me that he saw Vodka was seen licking a wound on his front leg this morning.

I decided to check him out on my way to the gym. I brought along a tube of Aloe Vera gel as well as a soft carrier. I found him in his favourite afternoon napping place.

I wanted to lift him out of the basket by his front legs. He meowed out in pain. There was wetness on his left front leg and I brought my hand to my nose. There was a slight foul odour, indication of bacterial infection. I stepped back and called to him. He jumped down on his own and I noticed a slight limp. I decided to bring him to the Vet.

The vet expressed out a few drops of synovial fluid from two puncture wounds, indicating the bite inflicted was deep and had penetrated into the joint space. The pus had drained from spontaneous rupture of the wound but the deep infection will need to be cleared with daily flushing and oral antibiotic. An antibiotic injected was given at the time of consultation. Vodka has to be admitted for care.



Vodka was adopted on 29th September 2007

Look at Vodka now, in a safe loving home!vodka_15032009

15th March 2009