Sunday, April 19, 2009

Susan Boyle makes us rethink the "spinster cat lady"

Susan Boyle makes us rethink the “spinster cat lady”

I was in the shower this morning singing the song that’s been stuck in my head for days: “I Dreamed a Dream” from Les Miserables. That’s what you get, I thought, when you watch the Susan Boyle video from Britain’s Got Talent 15 times in three days.

As I’m singing (badly), I hear my cat Phoebe on the other side of the shower curtain begin to meow along to the song.

This must be our way of cheering for the 47-year-old Internet sensation (pictured). Associated Press may describe her this way: ”Susan Boyle lives alone in a row house with her cat Pebbles, a drab existence in one of Scotland’s poorest regions.”

But we single women with cats know what a bum rap that is. Now thanks to Susan Boyle, millions of people around the world do too.

Photo by Associated Press/Andrew Milligan