Saturday, April 18, 2009

We don't need bloodcurdling experiences in supermarkets

The Straits Times
STForum Online
April 18, 2009

We don't need bloodcurdling experiences in supermarkets

I APPLAUD yesterday's letter by animal activists, 'Stop live animal sales, urge activists'.

I have started to avoid the Sheng Siong outlet near my home as I find it disturbing to see animals slaughtered right before my eyes.

I agree with Mr Howard Shaw that often, these animals are kept in inhumane conditions. I have also seen crabs and frogs kept in crowded cages at coffee shops, left without food and water for days until they are slaughtered.

I wonder if humans would like to be treated like this before they die?

Do animals suffer less pain because they cannot talk and protest against such treatment? No. The least we can do is to ensure that they are treated humanely until they are killed.

By bringing slaughtering back to the supermarkets, are we regressing to the old days of the wet markets in the 1970s?

These were times when chickens and ducks were kept in sordid conditions and slaughtered daily. Surely, we do not need that. Or are we trying to emulate the open-air markets in China where different kinds of animals can be bought and slaughtered if consumers so wish?

Singapore is progressing. Let us progress in our treatment of animals as well. We do not need bloodcurdling shopping experiences in supermarkets.

Elizabeth Ng (Mrs)