Thursday, June 25, 2009

CAT MANAGEMENT: Be proactive in dealing with strays


The Electric New Paper :
CAT MANAGEMENT
Be proactive in dealing with strays
25 June 2009

I REFER to the letter 'Why is there uneven enforcement of certain rules and regulations?' (The New Paper, 17 Jun).

I can empathise with letter writer, Mr Paul Antony Fernandez.

When I moved into my neighbourhood five years ago, I came across feeders who left a mess after feeding the cats.

There was also the occasional nocturnal noise from caterwauling.

Then a few residents and I started cat management, including trapping stray cats for sterilisation.

We also speak to the feeders about responsible feeding.

The number of cats has since dropped significantly.

A feeder in her 80s was also very pleased as she said she no longer needed to push around a trolley of cat food.

Trap-neuter-release-manage or cat management is effective in reducing feline annoyance.

I appeal to Mr Fernandez to contact the Cat Welfare Society (www.catwelfare.org) on how to start one in your neighbourhood.

Don't just complain. Be proactive. It works.

FROM READER DR TAN CHEK WEE