Friday, July 31, 2009

Cruel of owner to abandon defenceless puppy

The Straits Times
STForum Online
July 31, 2009
Cruel of owner to abandon defenceless puppy

ON TUESDAY, I visited Lower Peirce Reservoir in Old Upper Thomson Road. Next to the fishing area, I saw a little puppy emerge at dusk from the dense undergrowth. A good breed, it was not more than three months old. Just before that, I heard a commotion from some monkeys. I do not know if they had been attacking the puppy.

I thought it incomprehensible and cruel for someone to abandon a puppy like that. It came out twice but as I approached, it went back into the undergrowth. At least if it were a big dog it could fend for itself. This was just a scared little puppy and I felt so sad at man's inhumanity.

I know the Government and the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals are doing all they can to educate people to have pets only if they are able to look after them. I feel more has to be done, especially in educating younger children as they often get their parents to buy pets for them. Later, they cannot cope with their pets and abandon them. We cannot give in to a child's every whim.

Perhaps more needs to be done, like implanting microchips in pets or imposing more rules on ownership. Heavy fines should be levied if the dog can be traced.

Miriam Jayasuriya (Ms)