Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Culling of Pigeons in Marine Parade

From: M L
Date: 2009/7/29
Subject: Culling of Pigeons in Marine Parade
To: internet@mptc.org.sg

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am writing with regards to the current move to cull pigeons in Marine Parade GRC, where I am working at the moment.

Many a time, I have noticed the pest control vans around the area, and it has come to my attention that these companies have been hired by the town council to purportedly control the pigeon population in the area. I have personally also encountered carcasses of pigeons littering the ground, resulting not only in an unsightly surroundings, but more importantly, danger to the children and pets around the area.

As I understand, the pigeons have gathered in the area because of errant residents throwing food either out of their windows or on the ground level. The pigeons would not have otherwise congregated at this area, and hence be unwittingly accused of being pests in this area.

I find it appalling that instead of addressing the root cause – by conducting ample investigation into finding these errant residents, and subsequently either issuing them a warning, if not punishing them for littering – the town council is utilizing collective funds to hire pest control companies to cull pigeons.

I would imagine that proper investigation into the perpetrators of littering would be more cost-efficient than addressing the symptoms of the problem. Just like many residents in this area, I am sure we would prefer that the town council takes measures to deal with the littering problem, rather than add to it by culling pigeons.

Furthermore, I need not emphasize the inhumanity in the act of culling. My main point of contention here is that expenditure is being incurred to hire pest control companies to deal with the pigeons – which are in my opinion blameless given that they are attracted to food being thrown out by residents. This expense can be reduced if the town council conduct proper investigation into finding the littering culprits instead.

Aside from the above, as mentioned before, the culled pigeons are a danger to children and pets. I have personally seen children playing around the area. Should they touch these poisoned pigeons whilst playing, they risk getting ill themselves. The same can be said of the pets of residents in the area. I believe the town council would agree with me that such dangers in your area is a great cause of worry for everyone.

I hope the town council will take my points into consideration. I understand that I am not the only one who has lodged a complaint about the culling of pigeons. Many people have protested about the inhumanity and cruelty of culling, but aside from that point, I hope the town council understands that usage of funds for such purposes which do not address the root cause of the problem is worrying. This is especially so because of the vacuum effect, where a population of animals (pigeons in this case) are removed but because the root cause (i.e. food) remains present in the space, another population will enter – thus resulting in a neverending cycle of culling, and no ease to the situation at hand.

Like all residents, I want the surroundings and estate to look presentable and comfortable. If any resident is responsible for doing otherwise, I expect them to be appropriately admonished and punished. There is little need for culling especially it is such an inefficient and short-term measure that does nothing to resolve the problems. Funds should be properly spent on addressing residents’ real problems, not symptoms. As such, I would like the town council to cease the culling with immediate effect and to begin a thorough investigation into finding and punishing the littering perpetrator(s), thus putting our funds to proper use.

Thank you for your kind attention. I look forward to receiving your favourable reply soon.

Warm regards,

M L