Thursday, September 17, 2009

In Memory of Snow-White


Mar 11, '08 12:33 AM
by miow-miow3 for everyone
1 November, 2006 (edit)

Snow-White: yet another victim of fall from a highrise apartment

I was searching for the unsterilized tortie-shell kitten at “35″ to offer food, when I saw a white cat lying still on the cement floor with its head propped on the higher level of the recess area. There were splatters of blood around the cat. It looked up at me, meowed softly through a mouth that was oozing with blood.

A young Malay man walked by and I asked him to keep an eye on the cat while I rushed home to get a carrier. When I came back to the spot, there were three young Malay men looking over the cat. Two of them are brothers and live on the second storey. They said it wasn’t their cat but one of them said he wanted to adopt it. I said I would send the cat to the Vet and if it recovered, it would be sterilized and its ear tipped before it could be rehomed. He looked surprised and I quickly explained what Carol and I had done in this area for the last 3 years. He was aware of the tortie-shell kitten and I explained why I had to trap her for sterilization.

I picked Carol from the MRT bus stop and we arrived Pet Clinic at about 8.45pm. The cat was very docile. Dr Au showed me a mal-aligned lower jaw indicating fracture. He gave an anti-inflammatory injection and would X-Ray the cat to assess the extent of the fractures. There seemed to be no injuries to the rest of the body as well as the limbs.

On the way home, Carol spoke on the mobile phone to the young man who wanted to adopt the cat. He told a shocking story! He works in a pest control company but he doesn’t trap cats. He used to have 7 cats but released them at another part of the estate 2 years ago. All the cats were not sterilized. He said he regretted his action and that he was not aware of sterilization then. Carol told him that if the cat were adopted by him, it has to be a 100% indoor cat. He said he would help to catch the tortie kitten that is usually at the garden patch in front of his flat.

When I returned to take photos of the blood stains, I saw the tortie kitten at the same spot as last evening. I put a paper bowl of wet food at the edge of the shrubs and walked away. She came for the food. Hopefully this will become a routine.