Saturday, September 19, 2009

Tragic end to a handsome community cat given the name "Preston Smiler" because of the smile on his face in a photograph

From a private blog:

Last week, I saw this very friendly tabby at the side of a coffee-shop near to the home-care office.

Today I brought along the soft carrier back to work.

At about 5.30pm, I saw him playing by the side of the shrubs. A group of Malay men sitting on the other side of the shrubs were curious about what I was doing. One asked me to cut his ear after I explained that untipped cats were at risk of being rounded up pest controllers to be killed at the AVA. I told him that cutting of the ear has to be done by the vet during sterilisation. He said the cat was taken cared of in this area since he was a kitten. I noticed a plastic bowl containing dry food and water at the area where the Malay men were sitting. There was also a large plastic container of dry cat food on a table alongside the wall of the coffeeshop.

I wasn’t too sure that the tabby-boy’s testicles were fully ripe for the neutering. I called Lily on the phone and she said that 5-6 month-old male cat would be sterilised by the vet in the clinic she worked.

block-25_tabby-boy_06012009_01

This is a very friendly and trusting cat and he didn’t struggle one bit as I zipped him up.

He will be sterilised tomorrow and Damy will collect him for boarding for a few days before releasing him back at the coffeeshop’s vicinity.

He is well cared for by several Malay men who frequently gather at the coffee-shop.


I gave them better quality kibbles that I poured into their large plastic container with the F or W brand of dry food.


I met him this evening on my way home.















blk-25_tabby-boy_15012009_02









Yesterday, a Malay feeder, in his 30s, told me that someone threw “my cat” from the 12th storey about a month ago. He said the Chinese aunties in the next block knew who the “bastard” was but refused to tell him. He said he was determined to find the killer of his beloved community cat.