Tuesday, January 26, 2010

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated”

05:55 AM Jan 26, 2010
Letter from Val Looi

THIS is a true story: A blind man boards a crowded bus. Every seat is filled.

There is a partially-blind boy who is seated. He stands up and offers his seat to the blind man.

The boy remains standing because no one else offers his or her seat to him.

If I had harboured any hope that our society might become more gracious in such a situation, all that hope died the day I witnessed that act.

I had no seat to offer the boy but I wish I had been brave enough to speak up then. But I did not, which is a reason why I am writing this.

I take public transport daily and I witness inconsiderate behaviour by commuters every day.

You name it, I've seen it. But a partially-blind boy giving up his seat for a blind man in a bus full of people who have perfect vision - that takes the cake.

What is wrong with us? Why are so many people incapable of sparing a thought for someone other than themselves?

How is it that Singapore is such a developed country economically and infrastructurally, whereas its people are so sorely lacking in what matter most - compassion and empathy?

Where did it all go wrong?

I am sure some people think that such a situation is not that bad because there will always be some black sheep. My view is that that is just not good enough and that we should not settle for that.