Sunday, July 4, 2010

Animal Cruelty: Sandy the Persian


































Corinne M. Goh wrote:

Sandy has a tattoo in his ear. He has been neutered. He is also severely malnourished due to a highly sensitive digestive system which was not treated.

Sandy was dumped at the Pasir Ris beach about 3 weeks before I took him in on 2nd June 2010. My neighbour, L'atiffah and her daughter Nurul spotted him on 1st june when ...they went for an afternoon brisk walk, and asked me to help. When I saw the MMS they sent, I couldn't say no.

Today, after having him with me for a month already, I just realised how cruel his previous caregivers are.

They not only dumped him after mistreating him, they also had him DECLAWED. He was dumped DEFENCELESS. He could not climb trees to flee from predators or fight even if his life depended on it.

I was so concerned about getting his poop just right (which mean he is absorbing nutirents from his food) that it didn't dawn on me to check. Even when he pawed at me when he wanted more food, I just thought he was simply keeping his claws sheathed. It only crossed my mind to check his front paws when i thought about how he would smack my hand playfully, but I never felt any claws.

I felt so indignant and angry that he has been declawed. He is neither an agressive nor large and strong cat. There can be no good reason to have him declawed.

He was so weak he couldn't meow the first 2 weeks he was with me. He started with a wimper, then an audible purr, before a "meow" came out :-) gradually as he grows stronger. His undercoat is also growing, as is evident by recent hairballs which were not present before.

I hope to restore him to his beautiful and healthy self, the way he should be.

The Truth About Declawing