Saturday, January 7, 2012

Bacon - An Extremely Special Dog

http://www.savepunggoldogs.com/2012/01/bacon-extremely-special-dog.html


Thursday, January 5, 2012

Bacon - An Extremely Special Dog

When I first decided to embark on this journey, I never expected to meet the most exceptional dog I have ever known. I never properly explained what happened to Bacon and how or who adopted him.

Bacon lived in a pack at Punggol Waterway Park all his life. Afer the park opened, his friends were all caught and gone. For some reason, he was the sole survivor. In normal circumstances, only the most elusive and aggressive dogs are able to escape being caught, hence it came as a big surprise to rescuers when he was easily approached and leased up, 3 days before Christmas.

It was late at night, and he had to be housed at our place for the night before being transferred to the shelter the next day. Only for the night, as you may recall I already had to urgently find fosterers for the puppies at my place due to my neighbours' incessant complaints.

He wasn't happy of course, thrashing and snapping on being caught. He remained defensive and seemingly aggresive when he arrived at our place. No one dared to go near this Herculian huge dog which was struggling and pulling. Finally, with the efforts of 5 people, we managed to lock him up securely inside a cage.

Imagine my surprise the next morning, when we found him in the cage, smiling. (This was how he looked that morning!)When I let him out, he actually wagged his tail and followed me around the porch, allowing me to pat him, and showing no signs of aggresion. Through the night he did not bark once, and so we decided we could foster him for awhile more rather than bring him to the shelter.

In barely 2 days, Bacon had begun to be very comfortable at home.. following us around, allowing himself to be bathed, wagging his tail, and just being happy to be with us. Not a bark still. When he does not want to do something (e.g. when eing bathed), he whines, like a little baby. He never once tried to run out or escape.

A week later, on New Year's Eve, a kind man and his family came to view Bacon. They were the perfect family for him - dog lovers who had many previous dogs, a maid who loves dogs, and a big compound for him to run around. They immediately fell in love with him, and brought him home with them that day. I was at work and did not get to say goodbye.

That evening, I just felt an inexplicable urge to see him. It was hard to explain. I went to his new home right after work... And there he was, sitting near the gate, waiting. When he saw me, he ran towards the gate, wagging. And went I entered the house, he followed me around the house, unwillingly to leave my side for a second.

But nothing prepared me for what happened when I took my leave.. He tried to dash out through the gate after me; the helper had to grab him to prevent him from running out, and he whimpered, and whined like I never heard before, at the top of his voice, while struggling to break free. I was heartbroken, and I knew that he was as well.

I went home, wondering if I had done something terribly wrong. Andy felt the same way. But we felt its best to let him get accustomed to his new life.

3 hours later, on our way to a countdown party, I received a call from his very distressed adopter. He refused to get into his cage, snapping at them when they tried to usher him in. Worse, he tried to escape by jumping out, and when he failed, squeezed his (big) head through the very small openings in the gate in a futile attempt, getting stuck and whining in pain.

The adopters asked me to take him back for the night for his safety.

So we made a U- Turn, went to him, and brought him back to our place.
After that, we knew we couldn't let him leave us again. He is now our dog, and our home is his permanent home.

1 week on, he has learned to respond to his name, obey simple commands like sit and paw, how to walk on a leash, and he has leanred from his siblings how to beg for food at the dining table. Otherwise, he remains his sweet self, always wagging his tail, and never aggresive.

Some things simply cannot be explained. Who can explain why he was the sole survivor in a highly active culling zone? Who can explain why a stray dog who has spent his whole life running free in a pack will be so receptive to domestication? And who can explain why he was so attached to us only after 2 days?

I can only attribute it to fate, and maybe some divine intervention.

Bacon has taught me so much. About love, about loyalty, about relationships, and most of all, about the preciousness of life.

The most special dog I know is not an expensive pedigree dog with a beautiful coat, or a dog who has won many competitions. The most special dog I know, is an ordinary looking brown mongrel dog, with a beautiful heart, an extremely noble character, and a delicious name.

Hawk Cut